sábado, 22 de octubre de 2011

First Post!

Hello family, friends, and whoever else may be interested in hearing what I will be doing for the next year or so!  I'm sorry for my delay in creating this blog, but I've finally committed a Saturday afternoon to making it a reality.  Anyway, it's about time I let you all know what I've been up to for the past month!

I think I really need to start at the very beginning as my flight down to Guatemala from Minneapolis was by far the most bizarre experience I have ever had in an airport.  I was all set to get on the 5:30 a.m. flight heading for my layover in Atlanta, but the employees at the gate decided that I couldn't get on the plane as I only had a one-way ticket and no Guatemalan visa (which I was told before I could get it upon arrival).  So, sure enough, my ride to Guatemala left without me.  Perhaps not the greatest start to the year...  

As it was still far too early for any sensible person to be awake, I decided to go to the special services desk and make my plea as to why they should help me out and cover the cost of the next day's flight.  Thankfully, the woman working the early morning shift at the desk had a kind heart and decided to comp the next ticket.  However, this still meant that I had 23 hours to burn before attempting to board again.  I waited a few hours for the sun to rise, and then made the surprise phone call to my great aunt, Dr. Sheila, in the Twin Cities to tell her that I hadn't actually gone to Guatemala.  For the record, she was incredibly hospitable and made it the most comfortable day-long layover I have ever had.  

Moving on, I showed up to the airport the following morning and, aside from an awkward interaction with the same Delta employees that rejected me the previous day, everything went fine.  I was out of the Guatemala City airport with bags in hand and a stamp in my passport within 20 minutes of touching down.  On to Antigua!     





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario